Ancillary Justice - Ann Leckie

3-1/2 stars. This book had me so confused in the beginning. Breq talks about everyone as a she or as being unable to discern their sex by their appearance. Then someone would specifically say a person is a he, and Breq would call that same person a she. Then in her memories everyone is described as female. Super confusing. Then Breq remembers being near her superior, at the same time she's in an alley, at the same time she's standing guard somewhere. What in the heck?! I finally figure out she was part of a (view spoiler), but it took me awhile to figure that out.

I will tell you that if I weren't reviewing this for Netgalley, I would have have given up. However, finally at page 90 the book started becoming more interesting and it just built and built until I couldn't put it down. I'm afraid that all of the confusion and there being no explanation about why everyone is a she and how Breq could be a 10 places at the same time would have other readers moving on to another book, which would be a mistake. I don't know if there's a way to add an prologue with a brief explanation, but I think that would work wonders for this book.

I would have given this book 4-1/2 stars if not for the beginning.