Anthology. As I was reading this book there seemed to be a theme of rollerskating lesbians but then I found out there were some other stories interspersed. I wonder if that was initially what the publisher were going for but then needed extra stories to fill it out.
The average rating is 3.33 stars. More than I thought actually.
1. Sister Twelve: Confessions of a Party Monster by Christopher Barzak. 12 sisters travel through time dancing at famous and infamous clubs. One wants to stay. Good story. 3-1/2 stars.
2. Apex Jump by David J. Schwartz. Really good story about roller derby girls who find out their are fans out in space. 5 stars.
3. With Her Hundred Miles to Hell by Kat Howard. There's a woman that dreams death and works at the "nightclub" Hades. I was so confused reading this story. I don't really know what it's about. 2 stars just because of that. 2 stars
4. Star Dancer by Jennifer Pelland. I'm about 1/2 way through this story and I still don't like it so next! No rating.
5. Of Selkies, Disco Balls, and Anna Plane by Cat Rambo. A selkie is captured and works as a DJ in a dance club. A patron inadvertently helps her. 3 stars.
6. Sooner Than Gold by Cory Skerry. Good story but it ends in a cliffhanger which I didn't appreciate. 3-1/2 stars.
7. Subterraneans by William Shunn & Laura Chavoen. I could not get into this story. I really tried though and got more than halfway but I kept putting the book down and it's due tomorrow. No rating.
8. The Minotaur Girls by Tansy Rayner Roberts. A glitter skate park is more than the teenagers think. Strange story and that's saying something for this book. 3 stars.
9. Unable to Reach You by Alan DeNiro. Another freaky story that centers around cell phones/phones used for evil. 2-1/2 stars.
10. Such & Such Said to So & So by Maria Dahvana Headley. I didn't care for the beginning of this story, actually the first paragraph. So, did not finish. No rating.
11. Revels in the Land of Ice by Tim Pratt. A poet finds inspiration from an old friend. I enjoyed this story. 3-1/2 stars.
12. Bess, the Landlord's Daughter, Goes for Drinks with the Green Girl by Sofia Samatar. I don't know what was going on with these girls. Really strange story, but I liked it. 3-1/2 stars.
13. Blood and Sequins by Diana Rowland. Loved this story! A cop loves creating costumes as a secret hobby and him and a friend enter a costume contest. While there they get propositioned, shot at, learn the minimum about some strange hidden group, and become heroes. 5 stars
14. Two-Minute Warning by Vylar Kaftan. A brother and sister play a real game of life and death. Okay. Super short. 3 stars.
15. Inside Hides the Monster by Damien Walters Grintalis. A siren has a problem with modern music. Okay story. 3 stars.
16. Bad Dram Girl by Seanan McGuire. Another roller derby story. Someone is draining other players of their energy and Annie needs to find out who it is. Good story. 3-1/2 stars.
17. A Hollow Play by Amal El-Mohtar. A parallel universe and lost love/friendship with a small reference to roller derby. 2-1/2 stars.
18. Just Another Future Song by Daryl Gregory. A rock star (I'm guessing) has been barely kept alive so now he wants to reinvent himself. Strange but good story. 3-1/2 stars.
19. The Electric Spanking of the War Babies by Maurice Broaddus & Kyle S. Johnson. I got to the word Afronauts and gave up. Too weird for me. No rating.
20. All That Fairy Tale Crap by Rachel Swirsky. Read the first sentence and thought not for me. No rating.