AN APPLE FOR THE CREATURE - Anthology

An Apple for the Creature - Faith Hunter, Ilona Andrews, Nancy Holder, Steve Hockensmith, Donald Harstad, Toni L.P. Kelner, Marjorie M. Liu, Amber Benson, Thomas E. Sniegoski, Charlaine Harris, Rhys Bowen, Mike Carey, Jonathan Maberry

Anthology The average star rating is 3.42 stars out of 5. So a little better than average. Some good short stories and some stinkers. So about usual for an anthology.

1. Playing Possum by Charlaine Harris. Really good story about Sookie and her 2nd cousin and his birthday celebration at school that's gone awry. 4 stars.

2. Spellcaster 2.0 by Jonathan Maberry. A college student is forced to change his beliefs and gets a fresh start. Pretty good story. 3-1/2 stars.

3. Academy Field Trip by Donald Harstad. Really good story. I figured out what was going on after a couple of pages but that's because I read mysteries all the time. 4 stars.

4. Sympathy for the Bones by Marjorie M. Liu. Escape through any means, but I think history is repeating itself. 4 stars.

5. Low School by Rhys Bowen. A bad person is sent to her hell, which is high school before she improved herself. She didn't change her attitude at all once there. I didn't care for the story. 2 stars.

6. Callie Meet Happy by Amber Benson. Callie has to take a class to learn how to move through wormholes and no one is nice to her even though she's the boss. I didn't care for this story either. 2 stars.

7. Iphigenia in Aulis by Mike Carey. Super good story about what is done to "rescued" zombie babies. Loved it, great ending! 5 stars.

8. Golden Delicious by Faith Hunter. Rick's life has changed so he's being trained for the new phase in his life. At the training, he helps to solve a mystery there. 3-1/2 stars.

9. Magic Tests by Ilona Andrews. This story is about Julie's first day at high school I guess you could call it. I had read this before but I can't remember if it was as a stand alone or in an anthology. I enjoyed it. 4 stars.

10. An Introduction to Jewish Myth and Mysticism by Steve Hockensmith. A man nags a killer so much that he ends up leaving. 3 stars.

11. VSI by Nancy Holder. FBI agents stop a vampire serial killer. 3 stars.

12. The Bad Hour by Thomas E. Sniegoski. I don't like reading stories about angels. I figuratively and literally read with a grimace on my face. No rating because I didn't read it.

13. Pirate Dave and the Captain’s Ghost by Toni L. P. Kelner. An okay story about a retreat gone wrong. 3 stars.